As of 30th of June, 2013, Malta has a Chiropractic Association (MCA) registered as a Voluntary Non-Governmental Organization, NGO.
The MCA is composed of four members:
- Nicolo Orlando (president)
- Elaine McDougall (vice-president)
- Steven Zammit (secretary / treasurer)
- Rus Hornstein (full member)
The principle purpose of the MCA is listed as Educational, Heath, Social and Community Advancement.
The MCA will protect the public safety in Malta, as well as promote chiropractic as a science and an effective health profession with the main goal to gain acceptance from, and to ensure collaboration with, other health professionals.
MCA main objectives are:
- To ensure that its members possess high quality chiropractic qualifications following professional and educational standards.
- To increase patient safety, quality and accessibility of care and health in Malta.
- To ensure collaboration with other Health Professions to deliver the most effective treatments.
- To work together with other National, and International, Professional Associations in order to follow the latest scientific research.
- To protect the Public from charlatans and other impostors who would jeopardise the patient’s health consequently damaging the reputation of the profession and its practitioners.
- To be the Maltese representative body in Europe.
- To establish full-time university based education programmes to Masters level, which conform to European Council on Chiropractic Education standards.